The spring weather at Our MT Nest continues to be a bit erratic. In the past week, we’ve experienced frost, strong winds, rain, and sunny warm afternoons. It’s like Mother Nature can’t make up her mind. On rainy or cold days, soup, chowder, or stew is perfect for dinner. This week I decided to make a Shrimp-corn chowder that’s perfect for a spring or summer meal. I’m sharing the recipe in today’s post.
1. First prepare the ingredients: Chop a small onion and half a red pepper; washed and dice 5 small red skin potatoes; cooked and crumble 10 strips of bacon. Reserve the pan in which the bacon was cooked and 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
3. Add 1/4 cup flour to the pan.
4. Mix the butter and flour until it forms balls.
5. Slowly add 1 cup water, whisking continuously.
6. Continue whisking until mixture is well blended and has no lumps.
7. Add 2 cups of milk and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring frequently. Reduce heat.
8. Add chopped onion, red bell pepper, and one clove of garlic, grated or finely minced.
9. Add potatoes. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
10. While vegetables are simmering: Using a microplane, grate a clove of garlic into the reserved bacon pan with the reserved bacon fat. Cook over medium heat until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
11. Add the shrimp to the pan and saute until done.
12. Remove the cooked shrimp from the pan and set aside. When they are cooled, cut all shrimp except 4 into small pieces. Reserve the 4 whole shrimp for garnish.
14. Reserve some bacon bits to use as garnish. Add the remaining bacon to the pot.
15. Add the cut up shrimp. Heat through.
16. Add salt and pepper to taste.
17. Serve. Garnish bowls of chowder with a little grated cheddar cheese, some bacon crumbles, and 1 whole shrimp.
Linking up with:
Creamy Shrimp-Corn Chowder
10 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup flour
1 cup water
2 cups milk
1 small onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic (grate on microplane or mince finely)
4-5 small red potatoes, diced
8 ounces of frozen shrimp, thawed
10 ounces frozen corn
Grated cheddar cheese for garnish
Cook bacon. Set pan aside and reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the pan. When bacon is cooled, crumble it and set aside.
Melt butter in a large pan. Add the flour and whisk until it starts forming little balls of dough. Slowly add the water while whisking. Whisk until there are no clumps.
Add the milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir frequently. Turn heat to low and add the potatoes, bell pepper, and 1 clove minced or grated garlic. Simmer until vegetables are done, approximately 20 minutes.
To the reserved bacon fat, add 1 clove minced or grated garlic. Sauté about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add shrimp to the pan and saute until shrimp is just cooked through. Remove pan from heat. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside to cool. When cooled enough to handle, set aside 4 whole shrimp and cut the remaining shrimp into small pieces.
Reserve some of the crumbled bacon for garnish. Add the rest to the soup along with the shrimp pieces and frozen corn. Stir everything together and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish bowls of chowder with grated cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and one whole shrimp.