I have always wanted to have a designated space to work on crafts sometimes alone and often with my sweet, creative grandchildren. Our dining room has served as the default crafting zone, but it’s pretty inconvenient because whenever a project is in the works, we have to put it on hold and pick everything up and move it when mealtimes arrive since the dining room is also our only designated eating space. So having an area that is specifically set aside for crafting has been a longtime goal. When we installed a storage building last summer, I requested that a portion of it be given over to me for this purpose. This shot from November which I shared in this post shows the building.
Late last summer, Mr. MT Nest constructed a storage loft and framed out my craft room in the rear section of the building. In an earlier blog post, I shared our progress on installing the building and posted this photo when he finished the loft.
In the photo, you can see the framing for the door to enter the rear room on the left side of the framed wall. The picture below was taken while standing in that opening, looking to the right into the room. This is how we left the back room last year when we headed south for the coldest winter months. My talented husband later installed plywood on the outside of the dividing wall between the front area of the building and the back room. The front area will be his workshop area.
This summer, Mr. MT Nest went back to work on my future craft room. First, insulation was installed in all the walls and the ceiling. Then we purchased bead board wood planks from a surplus yard and he began the laborious task of paneling the room with the bead board, starting with the ceiling.
The wood had some imperfections, but after all this is a craft workroom in what is essentially a garage, so imperfections were not a deal breaker. Anyway, I knew that most of the imperfections would be hidden when the wood was painted. And the price was right! After my handy hubby finished the paneling, I went to work prepping the room for paint, patching the nail holes and some of the gouges, knot holes, and other imperfections in the wood with wood putty and lightly sanding everything. It took a bit of time and working on the ceiling was neck-wrenching, but after several days of work, I was finally ready to paint the room. The photo below shows the back corner just before I started the priming.
I gave everything a coat of Zinsser Bulls Eye 2 High-hiding Latex Primer using a brush so I could make sure to get into all the grooves in the paneling. Then a couple of days later, we painted, using both a roller for the flat areas and a brush for the grooves between the planks. Mr. MT Nest helped me with the painting and it went really quickly. The ceiling required two coats but the rest of the room only needed one coat. This photo shows the same corner after priming and painting. We worked a few hours on each of two days and were done.
The ceiling color is Valspar Sigh and the walls are Valspar Blue Kiss, a white with blue undertones. I used Valspar Signature Paint and Primer zero VOC paint in an eggshell finish.This is how the room currently looks. This photo is taken from the end of the room along the shorter wall. The entry door is just out of the shot on the right side of the picture. Mr. MT Nest will soon be adding trim moulding in the corners of the room and where the walls meet the ceiling. Then the next step will be for me to begin painting some unfinished base cabinets. My plan is to install an L-shaped counter with seating along the back wall (on the left in the photo above) and the wall to the right (in the middle of the photo above.) The base cabinets will support the counter-top. I am soooo excited that the room is finally shaping up! 🙂 It’s going to be wonderful to move all the crafting supplies into one organized area. Stay tuned to see how it turns out.